I’ve been going through my list of business marketing ideas for 2014, and I hope to implement a lot more of the business marketing strategies and tactics that I know work well in the coming year so my business will grow. Here’s a list of business marketing ideas for 2014 I hope to either implement or increase the use of during the new year. You can use these business marketing ideas to help you grow your online presence, increase your brand awareness, and boost traffic to your website, too!
On-Site Business Marketing Ideas for 2014:
- Blog regularly. Blogging is one of the best business marketing strategies companies can implement. Blogging helps distinguish you as an expert in your industry, builds a rapport with your target audience, and increases your website’s authority with search engines due to the interactive nature of a blog plus the additional indexed pages created by blog posts.
- Be mobile friendly. If your website isn’t already mobile friendly, include a re-design as one of your 2014 business marketing ideas. Over half of Internet inquiries originate from a mobile device, so if your website isn’t mobile-friendly, you’re missing out on a huge chunk of potential business. Plus, it’s no longer a good idea to have a mobile-ready site, commercial sites are required to be mobile friendly to comply with FTC digital advertising guidelines.
- Optimize your site for search. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the online marketer’s gift that keeps on giving. Once a site is optimized for search, business owners can continue to reap the benefits of added traffic. On my former blog, I still rank on page Google for the highly competitive (over 165,000,000 competing pages) search term “Types of Social Media Sites” for a post I wrote in 2010 about types of social media sites. The site also ranks very well for a large number of other blogging and marketing search terms. I don’t even update that site anymore, yet I continue to get a few thousand (yes, thousand) unique visits every month to that site – all because I took the time to do a little on-site optimization as I wrote each post.
- Vary your post types. People like variety. Include image posts, audio posts, video posts, link posts, quote posts, and, of course, standard text posts in your blog. Different readers learn differently, so including a variety of media types will appeal to a broader segment of your market.
Off-site Business Marketing Ideas for 2014:
- Manage your online reputation. Claim your Google and Yelp places and set up alerts for your company’s name and brand. Verify citations in relevant directories and ensure the information in those citations is correct. Make sure your website is listed. Respond to all online reviews, both positive and negative.
- Start a podcast. If you aren’t already using a podcast in your arsenal of business marketing strategies, consider launching one during 2014. Many marketers have listed their podcast as their number one tactic for growing their blog audience.
- Guest post. Another great way to distinguish yourself as an authority in your market is posting on industry-related blogs. This also helps develop valuable organic backlinks, which boost your site’s authority with the search engines. Plus, you’ll “meet” new potential customers. Hosting other bloggers within your market will also introduce your website to a new audience. It’s the old “You boost my blog, I’ll boost yours” method.
- Host webinars. Webinars seem a little scary to set up and manage, but there are a variety of tools and training available that make this a cost-effective and fun way to increase your brand awareness in a relatively short time. Webinars are most effective if you’re launching a new product or service and you plan to make a special launch offer to those who attend. It’s a great tool to use to this among your list of business marketing ideas for 2014 that can boost a quick increase in revenue.
- Use email marketing. Ignore the naysayers who claim email is dead. It’s not as effective for selling as it was during its heyday, but email marketing is not dead – it’s purpose has simply shifted. When you consider your overall business marketing strategies, email marketing is best used to nurture leads. Build your list of potential customers by giving them something free in return for their email address. Make it something relevant to them and valuable to them. Then follow up with a series of auto-responder messages that first build their trust in you and then let them know you’re the go-to-guy or gal in the market by providing solutions to their problems.
- Use mobile marketing. The average text is read within 90 seconds of receipt. The average email is read within 2 days of receipt. This is why email isn’t as effective as it once was for quick sales, but text marketing is. Business owners use text marketing (also called SMS or mobile marketing) to bring an immediate influx of foot traffic to their doors. It’s one of the most powerful business marketing ideas you can include in your 2014 game plan.
Social Media Business Marketing Ideas for 2014:
- Create and engage audience via a Facebook business page. If you don’t already have a Facebook page for business, make one. Then use it to keep your audience informed and engaged about your brand and solutions for your market.
- Use Google+. Most businesses are active on Facebook, but Google+ is owned by the king of search engines, so it makes sense to develop your presence there, too.
- Create a YouTube channel and embed videos onto your site. Not only does video keep viewers on your page longer, which decreases your bounce rate (helping build your site authority with search engines), it is also owned by Google. Nearly a fourth of Google’s searches come from within YouTube, and literally BILLIONS of videos are watched each year.
- Include other relevant social media in your business marketing strategies. Pinterest, Flickr, Twitter, Instagram – anything that is relevant to your industry or that can help you engage with your audience is a great tool to include on your list of business marketing ideas for 2014. Social media engagement has steadily increased in its weight within Google’s search engine algorithm, so it’s vital to maintain an active social media presence.
Offline Business Marketing Ideas for 2014
No matter how many online business marketing ideas and tactics you implement during 2014, good old face-to-face marketing is still helpful.
- Business cards. Include a QR code linking to your website so those with a smart phone can quickly access your site without the need to type in the site’s address.
- Conversations. As you mingle with people, especially those you’ve just met, gently include an introduction to your business in the “What do you do?” part of the conversation.
- Customer service. Word of Mouth Marketing is very powerful, and going the extra mile for your current customers is one of the best ways to get them talking about you to their friends and family.
- Referral programs. Offer incentives to those who refer their friends and families to your business.
Which business marketing strategies worked best for you during 2013? Keep up with those during the new year and add some new tactics as well. Share your ideas of success (and even what flopped) in the comments section.
The staff at DLF Digital Services wishes everyone a safe, happy & prosperous new year!
Need help implementing those 2014 marketing tactics? Contact DLF Digital Services at 501-548-2736 and schedule a FREE small business marketing consultation to see how fast, friendly, and affordably we can help you utilize that list of 2014 business marketing ideas!